Are you wondering how to best cook our Spolumb’s Italian Sausage? You’ve come to the right place.
All Spolumbo’s sausage is crafted with love and care. We use no fillers, nor binders and nor preservatives, and every sausage is gluten-free! Our all-natural recipes blend authentic herbs and spices for artisan quality pork and poultry sausages in a variety of flavors for every taste or occasion.
Our Italian sausage is the most pupular, very versatile, and always delicious when enjoyed either on its own or as part of some amazing recipes such as Spicy Italian Sausage Pasta, Tortellini and Sausage Soup, or as a topping on your favourite pizza.
So how do you cook Spolumbo’s sausage? Let’s cover three popular methods:
All you need for this is your favorite variety of fresh or thawed Spolumbo’s sausage. Methods are similar regardless of pork or poultry, you will just want to be careful to cook to the correct internal temperature for the type of meat you choose.
Here are some of our favorites you can try:
Our sausage is prepared fresh and we use raw ground pork or chicken. So you will need to cook the sausages to a safe internal temperature before eating:
Please ensure all safe food handling methods are used, for more information the best resource is through Health Canada.
The cooking directions will depend on your desired method. There is no superior technique, they are all great depending on the desired outcome, it’s good to understand more than one cooking alternative, but for these ideas you will generally want to keep your heat on medium for a gradual cook, and turn the sausages often to achieve a uniform heat and color throughout.
Some recipes suggest that you should pierce or score the sausages during cooking. Those sausages have an abundance of excess fat and liquids that need to escape. Spolumbo’s sausages are made from premium whole ground muscle, we do not add fat, fillers, or trim, and therefore our products tend to start leaner than many other typical sausages. For best results we recommend that you DO NOT pierce our sausages during cooking. Those natural juices ensure a moist and flavorful finish that stays IN the product.
1. Cover the bottom of your pan with some water for a bit of liquid to prevent the outside of the sausages from burning while the internal meat simmers slowly to temperature.
2. Cover with a lid to trap in the steam, and cook on medium for around 10-12 minutes.
2. Now uncover to allow the water to evaporate and begin to develop a nice sear on the outside of the sausage by turning frequently until brown.
4. That’s it! Enjoy the sausage on it’s own or add to any recipe.
1. First cover a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper, this will help make cleanup a breeze. Then place the sausages on the lined sheet.
2. Pre-heat oven to 350°F and bake sausages for 20-25 minutes, or until proper internal temperature is reached. Be sure to turn them over once or twice – around every 5-7 minutes to ensure even browning.
3. Let stand outside oven for 5 minutes and serve.
4. Hint – this also works well and tastes great if you take them out of the oven a bit earlier and then finish them for 2-5 minutes on a high-heat open BBQ to add grill marks.
1. Heat up your grill on medium-high to about 375°F. We like to sear them on high before letting them sit.
2. Cook for about 15-20 minutes. You will want to turn them consistently to ensure they come out golden brown! Don’t worry if the casings split open, this is a natural behaviour sometimes, but try and keep the opening facing upwards so that most of the juices trying to escape will flow back into the sausage. If the sausage is hot enough to split the casing then it’s a good sign that they are close to being done.
3. That’s it! Cooking Spolumbo’s Sausage on the grill is one of the easiest methods.
Now that you know how easy it is to prepare great sausages, integrate them into your healthy weekly meal planning. Choose between chicken or pork and you have a simple and hearty dish to enjoy with your family.
At Spolumbo’s, we have provided Calgary with Italian deli favourites and sausage for over 20 years. We offer Calgary Catering options that will make any gathering a hit! Please contact us at 403-264-6452 for event catering, office catering, and corporate catering OR visit our catering page for more details.